Re: Feedback, distro, and other issues

--- Muhammad Alkarouri <karouri at uofk dot edu> wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 09:22, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> > > - The distro project: we are still trying to compile a good page with
> > > the linux arabization. Current ideas are to certify applications with
> > > colors (red,orange,yellow,green,blue).
> >
> > I'd stick to numbers (say 5 being best and 1 being worst or similar).
> > Colors are confusing (at best) and numbers (of anything - stars, camels,
> > figs, etc) are a great deal clearer.
>
> Colors will have a better appeal in the page, if you can glance quickly
> at the apps colored green or blue and use these (coloring their names in
> the apps page). But I was also thinking of grading apps on a stars
> scale, so we only use 4 or 5 stars, so I can live with that, if it is a
> must. Otherwise I would be happy to keep my colors, anyone comment?

How about colors with a number within the color :-)

> > > - The distro project (3): In order to give room for more participation
> > > of the community (==myself less participating), a todo list will be
> > > setup.
> >
> > Say it aint so - the todo list/file is great, but I hope you will continue
> > with this (at a min until the first release of all that we've planned to
> > accomplish is released).
>
> I should have explained myself better. I would like further commitment
> from the community to the importance of the applications list and the
> standardization work. I want them to feel its theirs, but I am not
> diminishing my contribution in size - rather in percentage.
> More explanation: I will still be a maintainer of the project. The todo
> list will contain more or less:
> 1. There must be some people to certify apps for arabization. It will be
> very simple, but it needs to be done.
> 2. People to certify distros.
> and various other things. 1 and 2 should be done by a variety of people
> as possible.
> More explanation will be when we setup the todo list, of course.

OK, not sure of your move status (or even if you are getting mails), but
I mailed you all the info required to get your CVS-write access.  With
that I would love to see that TODO and the doc you and Munzir have been
working on upload and disseminated for further inspection and comment
from all those involved.

I'm not so concerned about people certifying things just yet as much as
I'm itching for a list of applications and their relative rating of how
important they are to be given to all the major distros out there to push
them (and educate them) about our needs and the required inclusions to
ensure better (or even proper) Arabic support.