Re: Marketing/PR cont'd

--- Ra'id Al-Jamali <rjamali at omantel dot net dot om> wrote:

Ah, I finally got to Ra'id <evil grin> :-)

> On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 03:57, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> > Agreed.  You want to show those contacts something, so you better have
> > content to start with.
>
> You're reading my mind like an open book...
>
> I'm craving to start a local canvassing campaign: presentations and
> demos in various non-profit organisation forums, articles in popular
> media, key decision makers in various sectors we mentioned .. but I'd
> like to get all the defences up before the "offensive".

With Arabbix (yeah, its not perfect and there are issues there which will
need to be addressed, etc) out and a mental barrier broken what else
do we need to do.  Arabbix contains a number of docs (main folder) which
include various background info on Open Source and the entire movement,
etc.  We also have a number of presentations (and the ".eg dream team"
has been busy on that track), so I think we need to collect that info
and see what is missing so that we can generate it for YOUR presentations
and for the upcoming Arabbix releases.  So make it short and sweet and
let us know what is missing for us to go knocking on University doors
and even companies (don't know about setting up demos in malls, etc
though :-)

Do we have the info we need/require before moving on to generating that
list of "contacts" ?

> > You're RIGHT (I think we touched on all of this before).  Now let's list
> > out what we like to include (number of docs, outline, content, etc) and
> > get cranking on writing them and preparing them for review.
> >
> >  4. Segment docs/presentations into expertise levels.
> >     a. For Newbie
> >     b. For University people
> >        i. students
> >       ii. profs/lecturers/deans
> >     c. For Governments and their agencies
> >     d. For Companies
>
> This should take precedence...

Can we get some progress on this one ?  So that we generating the required
docs.

> > Ra'id, I will mail you a list of 9 people who have registered with
> > Arabeyes.org with "PR" as their area of interest (off-list).  Do please
> > contact them all and see if they are interested in helping.  If they
> > are assign them a task and track 'em if you can please.  I think we've
> > done enough of "help us" begging and its time now to simply farm out
> > the work, assign it to people and track it.
>
> Received with thanks! I'll need to sort out all the action points we
> talked about first, though. Hopefully within the next few days.

Any progress ?

> > We also need to finish/create the PR Guide document so I'll tag you with
> > that as well.
> >
> >  6. Complete the PR HOWTO/Guide document (similar to the 'developer'
> >     and 'translator' guides) so that newbies interested in this area
> >     that are wanting to help, can pick-up and contribute without any
> >     loss or confusion.  Within we ought to have our goals/mandates,
> >     plan and anything else that might be of interest to future
> >     contributors in this area.
> >
> >       http://cvs.arabeyes.org/viewcvs/doc/guide/
>
> This is assuming I know DocBook..

We have a template on CVS (I'm no expert either, but its rather simple).

  http://cvs.arabeyes.org/viewcvs/doc/template.sgml

> Right... Looks like I have more than a full plate and need to start
> getting busy..

Looks like the plate is still full :-)  I'm willing to help where possible,
so let's get to it and I'm sure Alaa and Mostafa.H would lend a helping
hand too (with all that experience dripping from 'em :-)  We're all working
to the same end and I think we've outlined everything that needs to be done.
Now we simply need to divide-up the work and put some dates on deliverables
and get cranking.