Re: Prayer time

Ahmad Twaijry writes:

 > Yes please send the code to me
 >
 > I thing I will use GTK for the GUI and I will insh'a Allah but to many
 > things in the Program (e.g: Adan/Ekama sound, how many minute left,fiqh
 > ..etc)
 >
 > Right now I am planning and searching

Assalamu Alaykom,

DISCLAIMER: I'm new to Linux and new to programming. So some of the
terms that I use might mean entirely different things to the
pros. ;)

I'm not sure if you have already thought about this, but here it
goes:

The main problem with prayer time calculators that I've tried, is that
none of them use the same algorithm to calculate the times. Basicly,
even with the same latitude/longitude and Fiqh settings, the results
are different (with the difference being in many minutes and sometimes
hours!).

In a perfect world, we should probably have a standard way of
calculating prayer times through computerized means. Here is a
suggestion that might get us close to that:

Please separate the GUI/Console stuff from the back-end that does
the actual calculating.

This is really important because this would allow us to use the same
code in different ways. For example:

You're thinking of a GTK app.  Nadim Shaikli mentioned a Console
command (daemon?). I'm personally interested in a GKrellm
plugin. Others might want a web-based front-end. Creating a separate,
library-like backend, that we could all benefit from, is the only way
to go.

I'd be willing to help. While trying to learn programming in C, I
wrote some code for windows MFC <blush> that I think it might be
useful if cleaned up and converted to gcc. The accuracy of this code
is only tested for Kuwait but it does support prayer times
calculations for all latitudes and angles, and even all calculation
methods for countries with Extreme latitudes. The code is in shambles
right now and needs a lot of cleaning. I would be willing to start
working on it and cvs it somewhere, that is, if the code provided by
Moustafa Elqabban is not good enough (I'd really like to take a look
at that). If so, I'll use your code/library and jump straight to my GKrellm
plugin ;)

good luck,

- Thamer Mahmoud