Re: More quick Arabbix feedback

Anmar, I can see you're moving along quite swiftly... great stuff.

On Fri, 2003-10-10 at 07:24, Anmar Oueja wrote:

> > - The silent boot splash screen no longer mentions that pressing F2
> > gives us a more 'traditional' verbose mode.
>
> Did that on purpose so users will not see the mess.

Nevertheless it remains an option, so let's maintain the info that it
exists. I think we should encourage curiosity.. And you can always small
font it to 6pt to ensure only the brave take a peak :)

> > - The displayed time was wrong. My hardware clock is set to a UTC+4
> > timezone, but for some reason I got a UTC+2 time... did that come from
> > Morphix? I expect to see either the 'correct' time or UTC, but not
> > something else.
>
> Fixed the tzconfig on the system to point to Dubai, UAE time zone.

Well at least that would solve my problem (it's also UTC+4).. oh and do
feel free to call it the Muscat, Oman timezone :)

Seriously though.. I gather from this:
- Arabbix assigns the hardware clock to a UTC+4 timezone.
- ie, UTC is now always whatever the hardware clock time is minus 4
hours

This is still suboptimal for all except those who live in UAE and
Should we add something to the docs about the need to run tzconfig to
ensure that timezone info is valid? Or perhaps add an entry to the menu
called "Set my timezone"?

> If you wish to know more about Arabbix Bug Status please check out:
>
> http://www.arabeyes.org/~anmar/arabbix and choose the buglig file.
> Please revisit this file frequently to get an update

Great ... and nice screenshots by the way.

Hey folks, we got so much momentum going behind this project it would be
a shame to let it all drop once 1.0 is out. Let's continue building upon
this, albeit with a less pressed timetable. Whatever doesn't make it to
1.0, should go on the 2.0 to-do list. The hard deadline was the grease
which got the whole machinery going. So let's set ourselves another one.
When is the next big IT-related event in the Arabic speaking world? We
also need to formulate a mechanism to distribute the development work
between more than one person, in a more bandwidth-friendly way. For
example, with each iso released for download and testing, there also
would be a 'delta' script that a developer could download for rebuilding
a vanilla 0.5 CD into a 0.6 iso locally. I'm quite optimistic about the
whole thing, and my gut feeling is that "you ain't seen nothin' yet".

Ra'id