Re: Arabic typing w/ VNC?

The problem isn't specific to Arabic.  Rather, the problem lies in that the xkb extension isn't supported.  It seems that no non-US keyboard should work.

Also note that there are (at least) two vnc products: tightvnc and realvnc.  Neither seems to support the xkb extension.

Salam,
Moustafa

Nadim Shaikli <shaikli at yahoo dot com> wrote:
--- Moustafa Elqabbany wrote:
> As for trying it using a linux vnc client, I haven't.
> In my google search, someone mentioned the same
> problem with Russian but it somehow worked (he was
> amazed) when he used a linux client that was hacked up
> to support Russian.

Do make sure that the VNC guys are fully aware of this.
I looked over their site (http://www.realvnc.com) and
didn't see any mention of Arabic anywhere.

> --- Munzir Taha wrote:
> > I recorded this in MAPS so the issue won't evaporate.
> > Thanks Mustafa and keep me informed in case you know
> > the solution.

MAPS being the 'Mandrake Arabization Project Status'.
Where exactly is this "MAPS" and does the VNC project
itself know of this problem (sorry if I'm being dense) ?

Sorry, I didn't even know what VNC was until about a couple
of hours ago (I still haven't played or used it, but it
does sound very interesting) and tried to see where this
problem has been reported and/or noted and didn't see or
find any mention (thus my reply to correct this oversight,
after all they do have a mailing-list -- do please post
there as well).