Re: [Saudi Linux] RH Linux became to an end!!

--- Yaser Al-Jarbou <jarbouym at yahoo dot com> wrote:
> I wonder why arabeyes.org can't build their own
> distribution of linux since they have done a great
> job
> in arabizaion.
>
> people of arabeye.org, I think you have start
> thinking
> about that.

I totally agree with Maher, Arafat and Nadim on this
point. There are _more_ important matters we could
look at. Also, Haydar Linux is there, and maybe you
can participate if you're interested :)

Also, just my 2c on RedHat/Fedora thing.
Though RH stopped their _free_ linux distro but still
"The Fedora Project is a Red-Hat-sponsored and
community-supported open source project.", as the
first line on the website says.

Personally, I don't see much difference between what
was before and now! I mean, you still can download the
the .iso images and/or source packages. Even for the
RH Enterprise server, you can download the source RPMS
_free_, create .iso images, install it, and voila! you
have an Enterprise server. You just have to maintain
the updates yourself, though _all_ manuals of RH are
available, again free!, which I see a much better and
organized documentation that any other distro.

General things that I really like about RH are:
  - Excellent installation tool.
  - Update via up2date, which no more requires RHN
    registration. Also, support for using YUM repos as
    well as apt ones.
  - Graphical (and CLI) tools available for system
    config (e.g.
    DNS, Apache, Samba.. etc)
  - Addition of NPTL kernel for better performance,
    support for laptops.
.. and many other things that I just can't remember
now.

All in all, this is just my experience with RH, though
I would share it for benefit :)

regards,
Ossama Khayat