Re: CAD Software (WordFast)

Quoting Yasser Chaddad <ychaddad at maktoob dot com>:

> [..]
>
> The developper, Mr. Champollion, used to make the software available for
> free, but
> he now sells it for about $130. However, he gives away the software for
> humanitarian organizations. He also gives it for free to Universities. He
> sells it
> for less to users from some countries. He is, as far as I know, the only
> developper of such a CAT (Computer Aided Translation) tool who mentions
> Linux,
> saying that his software can work under Linux, providing that you use
> VMWare.

Well, you can run anything via VMWare, so that is nothing special. Check the
pricetag on VMWare and see for yourself ;)

> What is more important here is that Mr. Champollion accepts also to give the
> source code to people whom he can trust. As Arabeyes has always been a
> trustworthy
> organization, I wonder whether we can ask him to send us a copy of the source
> and
> see if similar macros could be developped to work with OpenOffice or
> StarOffice.
> Such a tool helps a lot when it comes to translating technical text. It also
> can
> use a user defined dictionary.
>
> If somebody is interested, please let me know.

I am interested to see if he is willing to offer us the source code. However, I
highly doubt it, since the nature of Arabeyes is to publish source code while he
is protecting his. If we publically display adaptations of his code to
OpenOffice or any other similar word-processor, it would essentially render his
work of no commercial value.

In other words, I highly doubt he would make such a gesture, but there is no
harm in asking.

later
---
Was I helpful? Let others know: