[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Interesting xterm issues!
- To: General Arabization Discussion <general at arabeyes dot org>
- Subject: Interesting xterm issues!
- From: Munzir Taha <munzirtaha at newhorizons dot com dot sa>
- Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 01:42:01 +0300
- Organization: New Horizons CLC
- User-agent: KMail/1.5.3
I send this to xterm author and thought it's better to share it here.
I am preparing a doc (see the signature at the bottom of this message) and I
fall across your page accidentally today and happy with the comparison you
made. I have some issues which you may be interested in:
* Shells allow for Arabic input and display with some rendering,
shaping/joining problems that should be solved.
* The shell doesn't refresh the text displayed if its window is minimized then
* Hyphenation is not displayed properly in all the shells (konsole, rxvt,
gnome-terminal, ...) if unicode encoding is enabled. I tried this with the
Arabic language and think it applies to all the languages.
* Deleting Arabic text in terminals in response to an interactive command
using BACKSPACE will delete the question itself!
* When you type any interactive command in the console (e.g. rm -i), you will
be faced with a question such as:
rm: remove regular file `filename'?
Now, if you switch to Arabic and type some Arabic letters then BACKSPACE to
delete them, you will delete letters from the question itself which is equal
to the number of the typed Arabic letters. Looks as if something concerned
with Arabic being double byte and the UTF-8 encoding. This problem is in
konsole, xterm, mlterm, gnome-terminal, ...
[http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5645||Bug 5645] (update: if you
type any arabic letter in a shell's prompt, you won't see it, this happen in
all of them except gnome-terminal, try to discover where has it gone ;) )
Please feel free to pass to anyone who may be interested since I can't find
enough time to even report all of these bugs.
__/ __/ _/ _/ _/
_/ _\ _/ _\ _/
_/ \ / _\ unzir _/ aha PGP Key available
gpg --recv-keys --keyserver www.mandrakesecure.net F0671821
Telecommunications and Electronics Engineer
Linux Registered User #279362 at http://counter.li.org
Mandrake Club member
Maintainer of Mandrake Arabization Project Status (MAPS)
CIW Designer, ICDL, MOUS
New Horizons CLC