Re: just joined

On Sun, 2003-04-13 at 22:38, Mohammad Saleh wrote:
> Salam All,
>

> I'm a new comer to arabeyes.org and a new comer to Linux. I would like
> to get started.
>

>       * What's the preferred distribution that most of you are using
>         (checked the archive and found a discussion about mandrake
>         anything else?)

This is a matter of a personal preference, I use mainly redhat, and
debian, and other distributions/Unix flavours from time to time. It is
better to get used to one distribution at the beginning, and if you feel
like try others from time to time, some of the main differences is
package management, administration tools, and updates. mandrake follows
redhat path, as it started as a redhat distro with KDE added, but now
its package management have other extensions to make updates easier,
while redhat have the same thing. debian is good for stable production
servers, and you can rest assured that they will not cut you from
updates, bugfixes after a year from the release.

>       * I registered and got a great email from Youcef, just wanted to
>         know what is the user name and password that is apparent on
>         the website? I was asked for a user name when registering but
>         not a user name to choose.
>       * As a new comer to linux what is the preferred editor for
>         coding?

again it is a personal choice, but for coding usually it is Emacs, or
any of its variants, you still have to learn a bit about vi or one of
its variants most likely vim.

> After I have everything setup then I'll dig more to see how to compile
> and so.

Cool, welcome, and hope you have a smooth journey

Walid
--
Walid Shaari <shaari at arabeyes dot org>
www.arabeyes.org