Re: General Arabic Installation Question

On Tue, 2003-04-08 at 06:52, Ibrahim Shaame wrote:
> Walid Shaari wrote:
> > On Sat, 2003-04-05 at 12:39, Ibrahim Shaame wrote:
> >
> > > I have been trying to install Arabic on my machine but have not been
> > > very successful. When I get into KDE I just get squares instead of
> > > Arabic characters.
> > >

> > I don't use KDE, but did you select the Arabic Language from the control
> > center, or from the switch language applet.
> >
> I get that precisely because I had chosen Arabic (Infact it is the
> configuration of previous version of Arabic configuration of KDE. I
> had reinstalled the whole linux and then recopied the "arabic
> user"with all his previous files, who worked perfectly in Arabic in
> the previous version of KDE)

mmh! I have more questions than answers for you, but don't blame me, as
you brought it in yourself by not supplying the vital details:

1.What distributuion are you using?
2.When you create a new user, and logging in with that new user what
happens when you select arabic?

3.what exactly did you copy, and to where, is that the dot files?

> > >  I also get the same thing with XFCE (another window
> > > manager). I have fonts already installed and recognised by X (atleast
> > > some of them; when I use gedit I can select these fonts, and when I
> > > print fonts I can see Arabic fonts in the list). Could you please let me
> > > know how to solve this problem? Is there a file (config, maybe ) in the
> > > windows manager which determine the fonts to be displayed in their
> > > windows? I would like to use Arabic independent of any specific windows
> > > managers.
> > >

> > mmh! it looks like you have the fonts installed already, why not switch
> > to gnome, it might be just a language selection issue. consult the
> > Arabic howto in the AE site, and let us know more details, like the
> > output of xlsfonts, your Locale Env. variables, which method did you
> > choose to enable the arabic fonts,..etc
> >
> Following your advice I have tried to change to "GNOME", infact I can
> see some arabic on certain items of the menus, but unfortunately the
> characters of the words are seperated. By the way I tried before to
> install "akka" but when I run "akka-config.pl" I get the message "bad
> interpreter: Permission denied". Any explanation on this?

not all the menues have been arabeyesed yet, if that is what you are
complaning about!

I have no clue to why is that separation? may be you should provide us
with links to some screenshots of your desktop, and garden next time :)

Akka :( NO Comments on Akka. getonline in IRC one day, and we will sort
that out for you, but Akka by nature is akward

Please provide as with screenshots, and distro info, and any other
relvant information you can add, such as fonts used, steps done so far.

Walid.

--
Walid Shaari <Walid at melinux dot com>