General Arabic Installation Question

I have been trying to install Arabic on my machine but have not been very successful. When I get into KDE I just get squares instead of Arabic characters. I also get the same thing with XFCE (another window manager). I have fonts already installed and recognised by X (atleast some of them; when I use gedit I can select these fonts, and when I print fonts I can see Arabic fonts in the list). Could you please let me know how to solve this problem? Is there a file (config, maybe ) in the windows manager which determine the fonts to be displayed in their windows? I would like to use Arabic independent of any specific windows managers.

Thanks
Ibrahim Shaame