Re: A newer logo

Sorry to barge in before introducing myself.. :-)

How about a logo *theme*, not just for Arabeyes but all the other Arabic computing projects promoted or adopted by Arabeyes, present and future? It would be like the traditional open source animal theme. It would promote Arabic cultural themes. A logo can be symbolic of what the particular project does or purely sentimental reasons. Of course to render a good logo requires some artistic skills which we programmers tend to be challenged about. (Time to hookup with a digital artist brethren :-)

I like the current Arabeyes "logo" on the front page but it would be best if it were not gender specific as to not unwittingly alienate anybody. A bouncy, smiling baby in diapers with shining eyes could symbolize the nascent character of Arabeyes and Arabization with an eye, pardon the pun, towards a bright future. :-)

Short intro:

I have been interested in Arabic computing for nearly a decade. Originally my interested was in being able to exchange messages on Usenet with Arabic script. With a friend sharing my interests, we started a mailing list called Reader (as in Usenet/email reader) to exchange ideas how to accomplish this. Reader remained active until the mid 90's and promoted the use of Arabic script on the Internet. In the second half of the nineties I got too busy to develop my Arabic computing interests. Recently though I picked up my where I left off and helped create and moderate comp.software.arabic.

My contributions to Arabic computing has been mostly organizational and as a cheer leader. Most recently, I've been working to re-launch an overhauled/updated Arabic Computing FAQ that was (sadly) abandoned in the early nineties. I'll post more about it later.

In real life, I do application development and application maintenance work in a Unix environment. I live in the New York metro area.

May I ask what's the demographics (or I should say geographics) of the Arabyes general list membership? Maybe a get-together or local chapters can ignite expanded interest in the topic of open source Arabization.

bassem

PS note to the maintainer, can [Arabeyes] be prefixed to the mailman message header to make it easy to visually sort out Arabeyes mail from other mail? Thanks.