Re: Invitation to arabeyes.org

On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 11:15:08AM -0500, Nadim Shaikli wrote:

> On Thursday - 9.August.2001 [12:04:39 +0300],
>  Dr. Khaled Al-Ghoneim wrote:
>  > Thank you for your email, and efforts. I checked your web page, and I like
>  > it. I would like to invite you to attend the first linux arabization
>  > workshop in Cairo, and also to place a link about it in your web page. The
>  > URL is www.linux.org.sa/law Please check it.
>  >
>  >     - Khaled
>  > Chairman of the Saudi Computer Society
>  >

Hello Sir,

First of all, let me tell you that we are all very excited about the Linux
Arabization Workshop in Cairo. As we are running out of time for submissions,
I have a few questions (I have already emailed law at linux dot org dot sa but got no
response).

Since none of us at the Arabeyes project are able to attend the workshop, I am
not sure how our submissions would be regarded. Is it a pre-requisite?
Also, what kind of topics are you expecting? Currently, there are three papers
that we intend to submit:

1. Bidi Proposal
2. Arabic Documentation Standard
3. About Arabeyes (goals, mission, etc.)

Some rough drafts of the above papers have already been written and are
available on our web site (http://www.arabeyes.org/). I would like to confirm
that this is the kind of thing that is expected.

Also, how are those papers going to be dealt with? In other words, are they
going to be distributed to the ones attending the workshop, put online on the
linux.org.sa for all to see, etc? I am just curious as to the nature of how
the event will unroll.

Finally, I would like to know if there is a way we can coordinate efforts to
work on joint projects. One of the main concerns we have is the re-invention
of the wheel syndrome that seems to plague Arabization in general. A helping
hand from your organization would be greatly appreciated. Although, it must be
noted that we are not Arabizing for Linux only, but to cover as wide a variety
of Unix-based platforms as possible.

Thank you.

--
Mohammed Elzubeir