Sent: Friday, August 10, 2001 3:29 PM
From: "Mohammed Elzubeir"
To: Dr. Khaled Al-Goneim
Subject: Re: Invitation to arabeyes.org

>  Hello Sir,
>
>  First of all, let me tell you that we are all very excited about the
>  Linux Arabization Workshop in Cairo. As we are running out of time for
>  submissions, I have a few questions (I have already emailed to
>  law at linux dot org dot sa but got no responses).
>
>  Since none of us at the Arabeyes project are able to attend the workshop,
>  I am not sure how our submissions would be regarded.
>  Is it a pre-requisite?

We prefer that you present your submision yourself at the workshop. However,
if you want us to distribute it, we can. If and when we publish a
proceedings for the workshop, we can include your submission also. We have
not yet decided if we are going to publish the proceedings.

>  Also, what kind of topics are you expecting?

Anything related to the localization of Linux and other open source
projects.

> Currently, there are three
>  papers
>  that we intend to submit:
>
>  1. Bidi Proposal
>  2. Arabic Documentation Standard
>  3. About Arabeyes (goals, mission, etc.)

These seem fine.

>  Some rough drafts of the above papers have already been written and are
>  available on our web site (http://www.arabeyes.org/). I would like to
>  confirm that this is the kind of thing that is expected.
>
>  Also, how are those papers going to be dealt with? In other words, are
>  they going to be distributed to the ones attending the workshop, put
>  online on the linux.org.sa for all to see, etc? I am just curious as
>  to the nature of how the event will unroll.

We are not sure about that yet :-) . If you want us to include your
submission in our web page, we can. If you want us to put a link, we will.
If you don't want us to mention it at all, we will also :-)

>  Finally, I would like to know if there is a way we can coordinate efforts
>  to work on joint projects. One of the main concerns we have is the
>  re-invention of the wheel syndrome that seems to plague Arabization in
>  general. A helping hand from your organization would be greatly
>  appreciated. Although, it must be noted that we are not Arabizing for
>  Linux only, but to cover as wide a variety of Unix-based platforms as
>  possible.

We would love to help, and would like your help also. The reason we started
this group is that we don't reinvent the wheel. I suggest that you talk to
Dr. Abdulrahman Al-Jadhai, the head of the Linux user group
(asj at linux dot org dot sa) about this. He is out of town currently.

>  Thank you.
>
>  --
>  Mohammed Elzubeir
>  Arabeyes - Unix the 'Right' Way