Re: On the lack of motivation...

--- Arafat Medini <arafato at gmail dot com> wrote:
> If I have a point to say and critic, it would be very well described
> with the QAC situation... Vapourware which killed our nerves.

Couldn't agree more.

> On the other side, if you look at abdos demise last time. He said
> let's meet and then he was the one who went saying: "oh you can do
> this by yourslef it's all there..." This will be my first direct
> criticism to Abdo. How much respect does one have towards the others
> to throw at the last minute a staple of tasks at them and say to them
> do this by yourself?...
>
> What makes me desiullusioned, and made me already... Is the fact that
> even inside Arabeyes everyone does what he wants but when he has to do
> things he doesn't want to do, he runs away. VIPs and newbies alike.
> What I missed in the whole years at arabeyes and today more then
> yesterday is this really supportive environment, not papers or
> pressure, but when someone asks people come and help.
> I wanted some help about gnome scripts at a time. But no one really
> helped. When asking about some help in gnome translation everyone
> knows what happened... etc etc... I feel being alone in my project,
> not because I do my things alone but because no one really #wants# to
> help me!

Arafat, although you are pointing out valid criticism (and that is much
appreciated) do please keep in mind that people's life changes and
progresses so when a person isn't able to come through and accomplish
what they set out to do (multiple times) that to me means they want to
help and do things but are either not motivated to get it done and/or
seriously are unable.  In the case of QAC I think it is due time that
we change leadership on it and move it over to someone who wants to
shape it into reality.  The idea of QAC, like most things, was grand
in that we wanted to engage various non-arabeyes related folk in it
as well to get a serious Quality Control mechanism in place yet it
needs to catch-on within our small community first.

I suggest that between the handful of active translators someone gets
assigned or elected to take on the QAC chair - if the person fails
his/her duties then the assignment moves to someone else.  This could
continue until someone who actually cares enough and/or has the time
to put-in the proper necessary work and preparation.  Set a meeting
time that is OK with most and hold meetings _no matter what_ to
instill the idea and the need for people to be there.  I would also
suggest the need to move away from depending entirely on a chair
and/or a leader - meaning if the person doesn't show-up the meeting
should go on and topics discussed and agreements made.

> Another important point, taking QAC as an example. I said let's work,
> no one did, said let's meet and nothing happened. At some time we had
> some structure going on but no one was really interested. Then I said
> ok gnome is very fine take a look, adopt it and where change is needed
> do it. No one really cared.
>
> Asides from accumulating the cvs tree with code and letting ppl use
> the infrastructure for their own needs (see plone or drupal)... I
> haven't seen any real thing which gets me excited anymore about
> Arabeyes.
>
> As you see I am inactive for a very long time, and reasons behind
> this, are these facts.

The philosophy we all should be living under with regards to our work
here is "I will do the best that I can irrespective of what others do"
as well as "I will help to the best of my abilities those that I can".
Simply put, do the best you can, encourage people to the best of your
abilities and be a role model to others to follow.

I'm not offering solutions as much as I am telling you (and others)
not to give up and to simply focus on what needs to be done.  Those
that are serious about the work that is done and that needs to be done
will continue to linger and get their tasks taken care of and those
are the ones that truly matter - results, results, results :-)

http://auctions.yahoo.com/