Re: The Arabic Abbreviation Dictionary

On Saturday 19 May 2007 18:10:58 Laith Juwaidah wrote:
> OK, Arabic abbreviations are fine, but don't you think it would be better
> if we wait before we start putting it into our arabized programs? I mean,
> if a person doesn't know what that abbreviation is he/she will be lost and
> won't be able to use the application, may be we should start talking using
> these abbreviations before we put them in our programs, when a person hears
> an abbreviation that he/she doesn't know what it means he/she will ask
> about the meaning but it's not the same case when the person is using an
> application.
>
> For now, what shall I translate CD? :D

I prefer natural intuitive translations: قرص

The thread was very interesting, it is very cool to raise existential
questions again :). Let's try first to concentrate on
http://wiki.arabeyes.org/Technical_Dictionary .  Probably, as long as there
is no consensus, I'd rather translate simple abbreviations into simple words
(CD قرص) as long as the meaning is clear, (some times abbreviations are
complex just to sound cool, acronyms), and keep latin abbreviations for
complicated terms.