Translating menus

Greetings,
When I looked over few translations I have noticed that some words - more often menu items- have (_ underscore) before some letters like:
_File _Help and they get translated into _ملف or _مساعدة.

When I looked at it more closer I think those - the underscores- are to mark the letters which will be used for the menus' keyboard-shortcut. I,e for the File menu (Alt+F) for the Help menu (Alt+H).
Thus when translating the menu items we shouldn't use more than one single character underscored, also if this is true I would suggest not to underscore the Alif Lam chars and put the underscore after them in the beginning of words like
_العمليات better would be ال_عمليات.

If this is an old info please someone confirm it for me if new please check more and tell me what do you think?

Thanks.