Re: Wordlist license [Nadim? Ossama?]

I don't know much about the differences and details of licenses, but I agree to whatever Nadim agrees to. If he sees FDL is fine, then it's ok. I wouldn't agree of BSD though.

regards,

----- Original Message ----
From: Djihed Afifi <djihedlists at googlemail dot com>
To: Documentation and Translation <doc at arabeyes dot org>
Sent: Friday, December 29, 2006 3:42:35 PM
Subject: Re: Wordlist license [Nadim? Ossama?]

On Thu, 2006-12-28 at 08:20 -0800, maysara a wrote:
> Salam all,
>
> In august 2005, there has been a discussion about the license of wordlist, initiated by Isam Bayazidi, with the goal of making the wordlist license compatible with wiktionary (ar.wiktionary.org) which uses GNU FDL,  it seems from reading the discussions that there was an overall agreement that the wordlist should indeed be compatible, but apparently the license was never changed, and other projects with incompatible licenses didn't make use it. so i thought ill bug arabeyes members about it again, and i suggest licensing it under a less restrictive license, such as the FreeBSD Document License or putting it in public domain, or setting it under dual licenses if there is any reason to keep it under GPL.
>

> Regards,
>
> Maysara A.

Paging Nadim and Ossama? This really has been dragged for a long time,
and it's really a shame that the wiktionary guys can't use this for
whatever reasons. ar.wiktionary has been stagnant for a long time
because there is not a big list of words, and generating one from
scratch takes a long time it's hopeless.

I personally think the wordlist should be at least dual licensed with
GFDL. Both are copyleft, and the GFDL is more suited for documentation
and this kind of projects.

IMO, there is nothing to lose here, and lots to gain.

Djihed