Re: Arabic plural forms issues

السلام عليكم
> This is true. Although we could not all agree 100% on a new alternative and
> elegant solution, we were all in agreement that the currently use one is
> incorrect. The biggest problem were the n%100==1 and n%100==2 cases.
> Numbers such as 101, 102, 201, 202 etc... are particularly tricky in
> Arabic.
Reading from the right doesn't have this problem.

> Can you please cite some of these studies for reference?

I lost the link. Reading from the left to the right was used in some old
texts.

> If I understand correctly, we are asking developers to use variable
> shuffling to avoid the segmentation fault. But is Arabic the only language
> that has plural forms that dont require a variable? If Arabic is not the
> only language, shouldn't variable shuffling be already in wide use when it
> comes to plural forms and applications that support them?

No, variable shuffling must be used by the translators, it doens't require the
developer to change anything.

> Youssef, I am _100% on board_ with you on this. But first of all we need to
> agree once and for all on a definite plural form. I am all for your
> right-to-left suggestion and if no one has any objection I suggest we make
> it official without delay. But we definitely need to hear a few other
> voices here.
Great.
> After that we can go ahead and write a script and perform what ever is
> needed, but first we need a decision, then we need to document that
> decision in all relevant areas (Translation Guide, QAC's Wiki pages
> etc...).
BTW, I don't have the knowledge to write such script.
> And once you have a strong basis to work on, something we are sure is
> linguistically correct, and documented as such, we can go ahead and contact
> application deveopers with our findings, but only after we've done our
> homework over here :-)
>
> Regards,
>
> Abdulaziz,
PS: I have been absent, and still being absent incha'allah. I apologize.