Re: Arabic wordlist

salam,

Hamed, thank you very much for your article/document (I'm CC'ing
Arabeyes' "doc" mailing-list as I think it is of interest there and
I'm including your PDF - in the future please upload your docs somewhere
and provide a URL instead).  Your replies should be directed to the 'doc'
list [1].

Thank you Nadim I didn't expect you'l forward "our" draft article here
but thank you again.

A couple of comments on what I read,

- I don't fully agree on the need for a new encoding as I think there
  are plenty of encodings out there that seem to die-off by the day.
  There is a reason why Arabeyes made a very cauntious decision early
  on to support the most popular mainstream out there (that ensures
  surviaval irrespective of technical superiority (beta vs. VHS comes
  to mind)).

I agree with arabeyes dicision "as linux kernel" for focus on UTF8
as leteral encoding but I'm talking about something else,
and I expected objections to build an encoding for the semantic arabic
as in my team, but the encoding is very important for reprisenting
arabic derivation and supporting vocal relations studies.

- I applaud your research and your enthusiasm towards the topic.  It
  is refreshing to see this intensity again from some and their adamant
  vision to make this a reality.

I'd like to suggest the following.  I'd like to hear your comments (as
well as other Arabeyes'ers') regarding the start of a new project.

There are a new suggestion project and we recently have a website but we still descusing and learning, so we didn't feel the need of publicity. so for your question I don't agree start new project but greet all openions.

We've
often talked about this but I think now with Hamed (given his continued
vigilance and commitment) it is time to make it a reality - an Arabic
wordlist. We have an e.Wordlist (english wordlist) which resulted in us
creating the world's first open source english->arabic dictionary/qamoose,
now I think we need to start an a.Wordlist (arabic wordlist) to ultimatly
generate an arabic->english dictionary/qamoose. There is plenty of work
that needs to be done in this area and it won't be as simple as collecting
words and/or roots but will need to be looked into in terms of completeness
and how the data will be dissected once all is collected from an end-user's
point of view, etc.

I supplied at least tow projects links tried to represent arabic deviation using
XML or wordnet, but as I said I think it's along way and imposing non deviation
languages (european) struture upon arabic.

Hamed, as noted and as you suggest what you are after can be broken into
multiple phases (the encoding is something that can be dealt with later
if you insist on that work outside the scope of what the wordlist is after).
It seems like the generation of an open source Arabic wordlist based on
Arabic root words is a must (the Duali project [2] should also be of
assistance since it uses the same concept).
if I understood you I agree we don't want to build wordlist in arabic,
but building a mechanism that generate all arabic words and reflect the semantic (deviation) relations in the arabic dictionary.

This project will require
some Arabic expertise and since we don't have anything to compare it to
(in terms of similar end-results) it will be an unparalleled accomplishment.

ok from my vision we need vocal studies (SSML ..etc), arabic (deviation) studies, and digital (machine) method studies >>so I expect you.

Hamed, would you be up to the task - ie. are you interested in prusing this
idea. Are you interested in the creation of the world's first open source
Arabic wordlist (and then Arabic->English dictionary/qamoose) ?

Yes this is my main aim and work, and still on it enshaallah.

[2] http://www.arabeyes.org/project.php?proj=Duali

I'm here in arabeyes since mounths and saw al regarding projects messages and persons.
we'l complete wiki regard this project in www.tarmeez.org and I'l send the links here as soon as possible.

forgive my english so you notic almost my post is arabic.
salam,
Hamed suhli