Re: Default charset for ar locales?

On Yaum al-Khamees 15 Sha`ban 1425 02:00, Mohammed Sameer wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 03:43:42PM +0100, Muhammad Alkarouri wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-09-29 at 05:38, Christian Perrier wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > > As a last minute fix, because of the upcoming release, I have changed
> > > the default locales to be UTF-8 for Arabic, and the 2nd stage then
> > > uses jfbterm as it does for Asian or Hebrew languages.
> >
> > Actually, we prefer Arabic support in UTF-8 always. You can almost
> > regard ISO-8859-6 as a legacy. So you will probably get other feedback
> > like 'yes, we need UTF-8, once and for all'.
>
> Yes, I agree here, But please try to keep the ISO-6 locale in debian, U
> never know when you might need/use it.

I agree. In Mandrake for example we have ar_XX for ISO-8859-6 locales whereas
ar_XX.UTF-8 for UTF-8 locales.

--
Munzir Taha  PGP Key available

Mandrake Club Member
Maintainer of the Open Arabic Bugs Project at
http://wiki.arabeyes.org/OpenBugs
CIW Designer, ICDL, MOUS, Linux+, LPI 101
New Horizons CLC, Riyadh, SA