Re: Gnome & OpenOffice.org translation projects' errors

Hello:

In to understand what is hepening, please read the following carefully.

OOo 1.1.x localization does NOT use PO files like GNOME or KDE. OOo uses a native format called GSI.

GSI is a TAB delimited files with a lot of stuff such as strings, notes, logs...etc. It is a nightmare to translate these GSI files.

To solve the problem, the GSI file was converted to a group of PO files so we can use PoEdit, Kbabel, or Gtranslator. Unfortunately, that causes alot of files to have duplicate MsgIds. Why ? well because OOo uses the same string in different modules. A bit of a stupid design.

I am talking with the guy who wrote the conversion script (GSI -> Po) to change it so msgfmt can actually process the files. This is soon to happen but no promises. I am on his case to get it done :)

If you wish to see what these GSI files look like, check it out here.

http://www.arabbix.org/~anmar/original_gsi

I hope this explains the current situation. Please let me know your thoughts.

Anmar

Ossama Khayat wrote:
Salam,
I asked nadim yesterday to regenerate the
common_terms.po file, as there is much change since
our last QAC meeting.
Anyway, because of TOO MUCH errors in the validation
of different files (*.po) the openning of the
common_terms.po by a PO editor is not possible.

These erorrs come mainly from two projects:
1. OpenOffice (http://www.al-daleel.org/OOo.err.txt)
2. Gnome (http://www.al-daleel.org/gnome.err.txt)
I didn't report .pot files, because they are not
included in the generation of the common terms file,
are they?

So, Medini and Anmar, could _please_ check and fix
those errors ASAP?
This is very important, so I (and other QAC members,
or volunteers) be able to start looking at the
translation quality and possibly move towards a better
technical terms list.

Ossama