Re: D-I Arabic and Debian Installation

Hi,

At Fri, 31 Dec 2004 08:00:38 +0100,
Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting Ossama Khayat (okhayat at yahoo dot com):
>
> > But how can we fix this? If someone new to Linux is doing the installation in
> > Arabic get stuck with this, I bet he/she won't be able to figure it out.
> > Can we do anything just to fix this before sarge release? It's really important
> > otherwise all our translation and hard work will be in vain!
>
> Well, that's not completely true. I suppose that most newbies will
> install the desktop task anyway and thus will have a mostly graphical
> system, which works pretty well, with correct display, as long as the
> ttf-arabeyes package is installed.
>
> About the broken display in console mode, Kenshi, what is your advice
> as you're concerned with Japanese, too?

Yes, Linux console couldn't display Japanese characters also.

People who wants display Japanese on console uses jfbterm (framebuffer
m17n terminal, d-i 2nd stage uses) or kon (VGA Japanese
terminal). This is 'common sense' or 'FAQ' for Japanese users, but of
course it's just 'runaround' :-)

I received some complaints about applying LANG=ja_JP.EUC-JP for
console, but I think it is 'trade off'. Users can avoid bothersome language
configuration for X Window System desktop or remote login. I don't
want to take 'drop LANG from default setting'.

It is best to give ability of handle/display m17n to Linux, but maybe
it's 'non-sense'.

Thanks,
--
Kenshi Muto