Re: Skolelinux (educational distro)

(back from holidays in Al-Andalus....where, btw, I saw lot of Arabic
which I unfortunately couldn't read and understand)

> I think "scoping" the necessary work and what needs to change is the
> first order needed to proceed (this means contacting the author, giving
> him/her a bit of info on what Arabic requires (bidi+shaping, etc) and
> getting feedback from said author on what would be needed to "culturally"

In the case of Skolelinux, this is easy as one of the project
managers, Petter Reinholdtsen, is deeply involved in Debian Installer
and Debian in general. And, as you have already seen, our commitment
to BiDi compliance has increased a lot recently..:-)

However, adding Arabic support to Skolelinux may be tricky currently
as, for stability reasons, the distribution is based on Debian "woody"
which probably lacks a lot of stuff for properly supporting BiDi.

However, as Debian release is now again on its way (I still have to
read news about this), the next Skolelinux release will probably be
based on Debian sarge....which increases the probability of adding
Arabic support to it.

Petter, correct me if I'm wrong somewhere, of courseĀ !