Re: Generating "test" POs for testing purposes

--- Nadim Shaikli <shaikli at yahoo dot com> wrote:
[...]
> Isn't it easy enough now to simply find the application's name (ie.
> file)
> and search for the offending string within ?  Is the location of the
> string
> within the various .PO files really that much of a mystery ?
>
> Sorry if this seems obvious, but I'm not a .PO user ;-)

Yes and no. For some applications its obvious which PO they got their
strings from, but this is not the case with *lib POs. An application
can get its strings from more than one PO (I think).

Moreover some POs have thousands of strings, and some of those strings
_appear_ identical. But to see two English strings are identical doesnt
mean the translations should be, as context plays a big role in Arabic.
The string "Open Folder" may be translated as "فتح ملف" or
"فتح الملف"depending on the context. If Ive translated them
both in the first method, but later discovered that one of them should
be changed, how will I know which one? I can find out but it may take
time.

Above ALL of this, the MOST important thing about this is it helps
testers who may be completely unfamiliar with what a PO is or how apps
are translated. Someone could email us saying:

"When Im using application X in mode Y while doing Z I opened a window
T and got a message which I think is wrong and it should be:..."

Or he/she could say:

"Message XYZ_14 is wrong. I think it should be..."