Re: Evolution

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 01:55:24PM +0100, Arafat Medini wrote:
> Salam!
>
> -You don't speak directly to the person, it is more general so more
> polite. Think about a person working in a bank and having this "very
> personal" string, I think that's not professional. Generally an app is
> for ppl from 8 years old to 99 and from the imam to the CEO so you have
> to be very safe in the way you speak to other, it is then very good to
> be careful and use a verb which is not mu3arraf. A neutral verb is every
> time the best choice as the user doesn't want to go into personal
> relationships with a PC ;) Or get orders from the PC...
>
> [..]

If this is how the GNOME translation is done then we have a _very
serious_ problem.

You are not speaking to the person, you are the person speaking to the
computer, ordering it to perform a task. We have been through this a
million times and I fail to understand why people are not applying it.
This has been said not recently, but even before the GNOME translation
began.

If other languages fail to understand this, Arabic does not have to go
down on the same list.

I will add this to the Arabic Documentation standards so it does not
remain to be an issue of debate. The general concensus has been that all
verbs (unless they don't fit the criteria, refer to Munzir's quote of
the KDE-i18n HOWTO) should be 'mu3arraf'.

Regads
| Unix the 'right' way |  http://elzubeir.fakkir.net/ |