Re: TODO draft for round-2 "Wordlist"

--- Ahmad Al-rasheedan <asr at baldi dot cc> wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 August 2003 21:48, Munzir Taha Obeid wrote:
> > I agree with Nadim. The original purpose of splitting full_wordlist.po into
> > smaller files is that some people like me couldn't download and upload it
> > properly because of slow internet connection. Other than this even the
> > original is not necessarily splitted. Anyway, it's not harmful for me but
> > you are free to do whatever you think is right.
>
> I just didn't want a stage where we release the first edition of the
> dictionary with words that we are not sure of. I wanted a dictionary
> that has self confidence:) hence the proposal to exclude fuzzy. I know
> it is extra work and we are short handed already so ??? ??????? ????

I think you are a bit premature in your thinking about release (it will
happen inshalla soon enough).  There really are 3 stages ;-)

 1. Translate all words - mark some as fuzzy and/or "bad"
 2. Inspect all fuzzy and bad words and make final collective decision
    on words (ie. which should be completely excluded).
 3. Remove/set aside "bad" words
 4. RELEASE 1.0

I think we are almost done with step #1, step #2 will entail going over
the files (no extraction just yet).  All fuzzies should be taken care
of and either translated or marked as "bad" -- all "NEW" comments should
be removed upon translation of the new term.  Once we are done with the
above 2 steps (and we're not just yet), then we can start removing terms
deemed bad (and those terms need to be agree upon somehow).

We need to be extra careful about removing legal words, currently in the
"bad_words" file there are the following legal words that should be put
back (in alphabetical order),

 Macrosimulation
 Macrosocioeconomic
 Macing
 Make-amends-for
 Malconduct
 March-in
 March-off
 March-through
 Marchings-through
 Marketwise
 Martials
 Matchers

I'm not sure what is the best way to go about getting agreement on bad
words, but I'm thinking that at least 2 people should agree on their
"badness" :-) to form that collective opinion.

BTW: for Arabic please post using UTF-8 (and _not_ CP-1256)

BTW-2: We've been having some problems with our mailing-list(s) so
       please excuse the mess.