Re: what is the translation of "daemon"?

On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 04:39:29AM +0200, Nader Soliman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> First, I want to ask what do you mean by "transliteration", second what
> is the rules with things such as HTML and FTP, sorry everyone I am new
> to this project.
>
> About "Daemon" what do you think about "Al Motarabes" or simply
> "motarabes" we can say "motarabes el teba3ah" for "printing daemon" for
> example. The word is small, in Arabic of course not in that Franco Arab,
> and makes a lot of sense about its real meaning.

To transliterate is to present the word as pronounced by its original
language in the letters of another. For instance, when you say
'motarabes' <--- that is the English transliteration of the word.. using
English characters to write an Arabic word. Of course here, we talk
about things the other way around.

The rules that govern how a translator decides on a translation are
outlines in the Arabic Documentation Standards draft. There is a link to
it in the Resouces page (http://www.arabeyes.org/resources.php).

And just to note on your earlier comment about jinni being shaytan, it
is not. There are good jinni's (like the FreeBSD one!) and bad ones ;)
Although this is still my opinion, I think it is better to pick a word
that is both funny, light, and easily understood.. as opposed to
introducing new words that are heavy and forced.

later