How to enable Arabic support in KDE 3.0 (How-TO)

Hi
I cut this from http://groups.yahoo.com/group/saudi_linux/message/957

I think this will be great if some in arabeyes.org put it in the site and
translate it (so it be in arabic and english )

-------------------------- Start ---------------------------

Hello guys,

I use Mozilla Web browser to see Arabic sites like
 (www.aljazeera.net). But some sites are not displayed at all. So
 Mozilla has support for Arabic but it's not 100%.

Now KDE 3.0 has support for Arabic. I just enabled it today,
 June 27. Here are the steps to enable Arabic in KDE 3.0 :

First: Get Arabic Fonts
 =======================

Download some true type fonts from this URL:

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fontpack/default.htm

times new roman, arial and courier new support arabic.
 These are self extracting cab files. If you don't have
windows, you can use "cabextract" under linux:

http://www.kyz.uklinux.net/cabextract.php3

After you download the file:

tar zxvf cabextract-0.5.tar.gz
 cd cabextract-0.5
 ./configure
 make
 make install (you have to be root for this)

Then type:

cabextract courie32.exe
 cabextract arial32.exe
 cabextract times32.exe

to extract the configuration files for each font.

Copy the all the fonts that have been extracted to a new
 directory, then use 'ttmkfdir' command inside the new directory
 to generate a "fonts.dir" and ""fonts.scale" files. Just type
 the command by itself.

If it doesn't create entries for iso10646-1 encoding, add them
 manually, and augment the number of entries at the top of
 "fonts.dir" and "fonts.scale" .

Add an entry to your xfs configuration file

/etc/X11/fs/config:

catalogue = /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled,
 /some/other/dirs,
 /your/truetype/fonts/dir

Restart your xfs font server:

/etc/init.d/xfs restart

Create a ".fonts.conf" file for Xft. Here's mine:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
 <!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
 <fontconfig>
 <dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/truetype</dir>
 </fontconfig>

Substitute the dir element with the path where you installed the
 fonts.

Under Control Center->Look & Feel, choose Times New Roman for
 all fonts. You will find the button on the middle of the screen.

Second: Enalbe Arabic support
 =============================

Download the pavkage for Arabic support for KDE from:

http://i18n.kde.org/teams/index.php?action=info&team=ar

the package name is kde-i18n-ar.tar.bz2

You must install the files at the /usr directory by typing the
 follwoing:( you will have to be root)

tar xjf kde-i18n-ar.tar.bz2
 cd kde-i18n-ar
 ./configure --prefix=/usr
 make
 make install

Restart your kde3 session and you'll find Arabic under
the language menu under personalization in the Control Center.

To type in Arabic, go to Contorl Center->Perpherals->Keyboard
 and add Arabic Keyboard support.

After that, you can switch from English to Arabic keyboard by
 right clikcing on the small icon of the US flag in the panel.

Peace out.

Faisal

--
http://www.SaudiABM.com