Re: Man Pages in Arabic (AMAN)

Mohammed Elzubeir wrote:
On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 11:47:47AM -0700, Anmar Oueja wrote:

I have some ideas that I think worth looking into.

So what are your ideas (I was under the impression this re-post was going to
include some of them)? How would you like to proceed?

I recommend you start by finding the source of all the main man pages, and
then we can import them to cvs. From that point on, work can be made on it,
with you taking the lead on it -- others will follow as work starts rolling.

email me or the list to dicsuss this further.

All Arabeyes related discussions are discussed publically and archived so we
can maintain the maximum transparency as possible, in our work.

later

Man when I looked into this, it is abig job but it is alot of fun though so here are some of my concerns and suggestions.

- need a Howto that explains how to tranlate the english man pages
- need a repository that shows all the translated man pages
- given the shear number of man pages, we should have a way for people to request the man pages they think will be most usefull
- a doc explaining how to setup the Arabic man pages on an english linux system
- and the most important of all, is the process man pages have to go through to release the man pages as they become available. (we need to certify the pages for correctness and grammer (yuk))

So let me begin by asking you what section of the man pages is of interest. We do not have to finish one section and move on the next but it is as good a start as can be.

Q. Which section of the man pages you like to see in Arabic (Please choose one from the following) ?

Section The human readable name
   1    User commands that may be started by everyone.
   2    System calls, that is, functions provided by the kernel.
   3    Subroutines, that is, library functions.
   4    Devices, that is, special files in the /dev directory.
   5    File format descriptions, e.g. /etc/passwd.
   6    Games, self-explanatory.
   7    Miscellaneous, e.g. macro packages, conventions.
   8    System administration tools that only root can execute.
   9    Another (Linux specific) place for kernel routine documentation.

Send the list your answers .

Anmar :)