Re: Use of QaMoose

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 01:26:53AM -0500, Waseem Bakr wrote:
> Salam everyone,
> I have just approved all the pending terms you have submitted to QaMoose.
> After browsing through some of your submissions, I'd like to make a few
> short notes (please have a quick look even if they look horribly long and
> uninviting):

Just a note for everyone who is entering suggestions or approving them. Please make
sure to use 'action verbs'. For example,

"assign" --> "ta'yeen"

That is not very accurate. It should be, "'ayyin" instead, and so on.
The same goes for KDE/Gnome translations.

> 2. Please always be sure to fill the "Arabic term in Latin letters" field.
> Thanks to Nadim, QaMoose now supports non-UTF-8 input, but still, it would

That is not true. In fact, QaMoose 1.3 will check AGAINST non-utf-8 input and reject
them so we don't get all the wrongly encoded inputs we had. It is extremely
important to maintain everything using utf-8 encoding.

If you are entering the words through a web browser, it will be in utf-8 encoding
automatically, unless you FORCE it to another encoding by changing the
"View->Encoding" in your browser before you input it. So, unless you are
intentionally changing it, it will be in utf-8. However, the problem arises when the
words are uploaded in a file (like the case of wrongly encoded words we had -- which
I rejected).

For that, QaMoose 1.3 solves the problem (and should be deployed pretty soon).

Keep up the good work, and keep it fun!