Re: other words translation

At 02:43 ã 03/01/2002 +0100, you wrote:
Salaam,

Sayed Al-Mosawi a *crit :

> Chahine M. Hamila wrote:
>
> >Mohamed, good try, but that's an extremely ugly
> >translation. Please try
>
> Then what do u suggest?

I will suggest some. That said, knowing that a translation is ugly
doesn't necessarily mean I have something in head. See next,

> >to be as concise as possible.
>
> Pls friends, when u reply an email just be as
> informative as possible; not just blaiming while not
> providing another solution.

Sayed, I am not blaming anyone here and certainly not Mohamed who I laud
for his efforts like every other volunteer. But there has been things
which have been discussed here like why we should avoid long
translations, sometimes favor even ugly borrowings, avoid things that
are not practical or cryptic to the nearly-illiterate Joe and so on...
One can allow himself long translation for expressions that will only be
unfrequently used, for those which will be of common use, you have to
favor translations that will enter the *spoken* lexicon of your user
rather than seeing him switch to speaking English or French...

Now, some suggestions (you might find some better, so keep the
brainstorming:)) (I'm sorry I can't work with Qamoose right now, my
connection is really a pain the toe).

Executable : shaaghel, or mostanfedh (I prefer the first, which looks to
me less cryptic. Note that my dictionnary says "qaabel leltenfeedh", but
that's not acceptable for such a common term, a more reflexive mostanedh
would be easier...).
Pattern: namoodhaj (file name pattern is composite)
I have no idea what could be suggested for template since I've always
used that one as "template" whatever language I spoke (should we revert
to borrowing here, or am I the only one?), remember the name must be
understanble without resorting to a mental effort of translation, or
worse, running to a dictionnary:)
Java remains Java, this is a name, so just transcript it in Arabic.
Runtime needs a translation. What comes to my mind is that it is
composite and hard to translate. The easy way would be to borrow. Many
here would say no and might have better translations I guess. To avoid
borrowing, we could revert to something that might describe what we want
another way. Dynamic for example. Which would give "nasheeT", "at
runtime" would then be "fi'nnashaaT". Feel free to bring in better
ideas.
Browse was widely discussed at the first IRC party. Note that browser
(as is in Arabic) itself was deemed a tolerable use because of the
"Common Popular Law"...
Your suggestion for rename seems to be simply interchangeable. A better
translation would come in a easy one-worder...

Hope that helps and refreshes some memories.
Sending my thanks and wishes to all of you volunteers.
Salaam,
Chahine