Re: Going the easy way

السلام عليكم
مشاركة أولى لشخص غير متخصص، ولكن الحماس للموضوع يشجع على بذل الجهد ولو اليسير فى دفع العجلة
عذرا إن كنت أكتب هذه المقدمة بالعربى مع ملاحظتى أن الجميع يكتبون بالإنجليزية ولم أفهم لماذا يكتب الجميع بهذه اللغة، ومع ذلك سأحاول ترجمة المصطلحات على النسق الذى قدمه الإخوة:

From: "Anatolia" <Anatolia at linux-team dot org>
To: <doc at arabeyes dot org>
Subject: Re: Going the easy way
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 04:11:30 +0100

Hi all
I agree with Chahine
format can be -> Thyaah

Majid
--------------------------------
Well! I can say that the word "format" comes in two different contexts:
It might mean "Tahyia'a" (close to what Majid says),or "Tajheez", but it might mean something different. It might come in a phrase like "Number Format". In such a case it will mean "Namat" or "Haya'a"
--------------------------------
Linux Team Developer

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chahine M. Hamila" <mch at chaham dot com> To: <doc at arabeyes dot org> Sent: Saturday, September 01, 2001 2:34 AM Subject: Re: Going the easy way

> Isam Bayazidi wrote:
>
> > HI all ..
>
> Hi
>

> > Chahine suggests that we should go the easy way, and give the
arabic
> > alphabet to the english word that is known with their English names ..
but
> > I am afraid that we go far on doing this we will end up with a whole
> > interface written in english with arabic alphabet ! How far should we
go ?

> Read the The Words She Stole, and the Common Popular Law from the draft:)
> Not far, just when the use is extremely widespread...
>

> > - here is the list of few of the word that are known in their English
> > names, and either does not have an arabic translation, or it is not
known :

> a few answers from my limited knowledge (correct me if I'm wrong):
>
> > directory
>
> no borrowing here, "melaf" or "daftar" are the "common popular".
>
> > symbol Link ( symlink )
>
> no borrowing, "Qayd" is the "common popular"
>
> > filesystem format alias applet
>
> ? ? ? ?
> I have no idea here to be honest
>
> > HTTP ( I think that this should stay at english letters, these names
can't
> > be used in arabic alphabet"
>
> Try saying that to a kid who hasn't learnt the Latin alaphabet yet:)
That's the
> best way to test if your translation is acceptable. Arabic URLs are
coming, so
> you'll have to translate it sooner or later, or our kids will have to
either
> change their mother tongue or learn hieroglyphs (Latin letters that is)...
>
> > HOWTO
>
> errrr... be creative;) "keyfa" for howto comes to mind... You don't have
to keep
> them as is anyway, someone who's going to look for docs is someone who's
making an
> effort to learn. There's room for creativity here. This is just a
suggestion. In
> any case, just make something that has chances to become "common popular"
(i.e.
> easy, clear, in Arabic, bayyen, that's the main driver).
>
> > LILO
>
> Unix commands are not arabized (yet). If it's a command, keep it in
English, until