Re: AOCR for open source

as-salamu alaykom,

On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 01:16:20AM +0200, Afief Halumi wrote:
> One last note: there are a few open source matlab replacements out there, I
> don't know how compatible they are, but it might be worth to check them
> out...

There's Octave, FreeMat, and others indeed. I use octave sometimes when
I need to do Matlab-like work. The problem with the replacements as far
as I've seen, is with the toolboxes (libraries that contains functions for
communications, signal processing, image processing, ...), there is a
package called octave-forge that does include many functions that are in
Matlab toolboxes. So depended on how Mahmoud (and his colleagues?) has
written that Matlab code, it may be possible to run that code with
octave (or another replacement).

> On 9/26/07, Mahmoud Abdel moneim Elgenedy <melgenedy at gmail dot com> wrote:
> >
> > Assalamo 3likom all,
> >
> > my name mahmoud abdel moneim, i want to take your openions for putting the
> > following project (Arabic OCR based HTK) for open source:

HTK (http://htk.eng.cam.ac.uk/) is in C indeed, so I think the work
needed to convert the matlab code won't be much.

> > - we did an Arabic OCR as a graduate project, it was based on an
> > open-source tool kit (named HTK), also we reached a very good results on the

Please check the license of that kit
(http://htk.eng.cam.ac.uk/docs/license.shtml)

I noticed that HTK does not exist on Debian, I wonder if it has to do
with that license, or is it just that no one got interested in packaging
it.