Re: firefox on mac osx leopard - tashkeel?

> You say you can greet non-muslims with "salam" but can't with "salam
> alaykum"?
>
> If you say what you mean, then what is the difference between these
> two greetings?

first, "Salam Alaykum" is an act of Islamic worshipping,
second "Salam Alykom" could mean "Islam be with you" because Islam means peace
as in ادخلوا في السلم كافة
so do a non-Muslim want to be grated with "Islam be with you"
or do you want them to be forced to act in Islamic worshipping
"May Allah peace and mercy be upon you too"

religions have differences you can't just project one into another
some religions bless with cow urine do you want to be "blessed" that way

> I think you should wish non-muslims peace too.. muslims and non-
> muslims both need it!

"Salam" ie. Peace

yes Muslims wishes peace to ignorant people ie. disbelievers as Quran says
{ وَعِبَادُ الرَّحْمَنِ الَّذِينَ يَمْشُونَ عَلَى الْأَرْضِ هَوْناً
وَإِذَا خَاطَبَهُمُ الْجَاهِلُونَ قَالُوا سَلَاماً }
meaning { The worshipers of the Merciful are those who walk humbly on
the earth, and when the ignorant address them say: 'Peace, ' }

not "Salam Alaykum" ... do I have to repeat myself

If a non-Muslim objects on "Al-Salam Ala-Man-Itabaa Al-Huda"
meaning  "Peace be upon those who follow guidance or righteousness"
then it means that he consider himself unguided, transgressor, ..etc.

read www.thwab.net/islam/faq.html

PLEASE STOP THIS OFF-TOPIC