Re: Summer of Code

On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 09:20:32AM +0800, Meor Ridzuan Meor Yahaya wrote:
> Salam,

> I think the application would not be hugh, only the audio file. User
> will have to choose which audio file they want.
>

> >> We could do in more lower level than the current libquran. Let it just
> >> return the audio data along with it's mime type (it could be mp3,
> >> speex, or anything). The playing of the audio is the responsibility of
> >> the frontend, not libquran's.
> >>
> >> In this way, people could use libquran also when they don't need the
> >> audio data. Today they should have libspeex in order to compile.
> >>

> >Nice idea, so that we needn't force an install of the audio data.
>
> Last time, i suggested something like this to M Yousif. It would be
> better to be more flexible. I suggested to use something like
> gstreamer or karts for audio handling, so that we don't have to worry
> about supporting every audio type exist. That would be gstreamer's
> job. Another thing that is not flexible in current audio handling is
> the requirement of 1 file per ayah. the approach that I took for my
> web application was we only store certain information about the audio.
> Info that we need (in the library) are for every ayah, where is the
> audio file, it's start time and it's end time. Then it is up to the
> application to play it. I've uploaded the application, but I need to
> fixe a few things before announcing it.

I don't know why M Yousif didn't like the idea bit IMHO, gstreamer will increase the dependencies
of libquran which something I personally don't like.

I guess your approach in handling the audio files seems better.

> >> They should :-)
> >> They might need to support RTL in some point.
> >
> >I'd love to see that happen ;-)
> >I found that there are patches for RTL already. Maybe we can discuss this
> >face to face!
> >

> Since M Damt work in Nokia, this might happen. For other platform, it

I work for Nokia too but I wouldn't waste the time of the community (Unless they volunteer)
doing something that a company will do.

> might be tougher. For example, for Pocket PC, Microsoft has provided
> Uniscribe support to Windows Mobile 5. However, I have not come
> accross any OEM distributing it with their products, at least not in
> their english version. So, even if it is possible to have the RTL
> support in the system, manufacturer seems to choose not to.

No. Not to speak for arabeyes but I don't really like supporting proprietary software here.

--
GNU/Linux registered user #224950
Proud Egyptian GNU/Linux User Group <www.eglug.org> Member.