Re: Summer of Code

Youssef,
I've been trying to write something on the topics, but so far nothing
much accomplish. Maybe if we can get to work started, I can guide you
with the specific problem areas that you are having.

As much as I would like to work on Linux, it is not easy to do it
(developing fonts). Most tools are available under Windows. The most
important tools to develop "intelligent" fonts is VOLT, so you might
want to register to the group (it's free). But VOLT does not help you
in creating the font itself. You need to use other software like Font
Creator or Fontlab. Fontforge would be fine also, but difficult to get
it run under windows.

If  you think it would be better to have a dedicated portal/discussion
group on this, please let me know.

Regarding the BASE table,you are right. My font does not support the
BASE table. This is because my original font does not even have latin
font in it. This is something that I need to look into.

Regards.

On 3/12/07, Youssef Chahibi <chahibi at gmail dot com> wrote:
On Monday 12 March 2007 01:20, Meor Ridzuan Meor Yahaya wrote:
> Salam,
وعليكم السلام

Regardless of Summer Of Code, I wonder if you can assist us this summer
incha'allah to learn a bit of Font design, I would really like enjoy
improving our fonts (adding support of more languages, fixing diacritics,
making use of OpenType...), I am sure others like Khaled Hosny may like some
training in this field.

About your last two very nice fonts, I think they have some bugs with GTK
programs because it doesn't support OpenType BASE tables. But it works
perfectly on OpenOffice.org. There is some will to improve OpenType on Pango
and QT with HarfBuzz (حرف باز)
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software_2fHarfBuzz .