Re: Glibc Arabic locales

On Sat, Jul 14, 2007 at 10:16:50PM -0700, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> --- Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny at eglug dot org> wrote:
> > Current Arabic locale definitions are so buggy with many incorrect or
> > even missed details, as an Egyptian, I'm considering ar_EG locale but
> > many of these details are true for other Arabic locales.
> >
> > #Month and Day names: current definition includes truncated month and
> > day names as abbreviated form; thing like ينا، فبر، مار، etc.
> > Those forms are completely non-sense in Arabic and not used any where,
> > simply abbreviated form should be the same as complete form (like what
> > fa_IR locale is doing)
> >
> > #Digits:Egypt, and most Arabic countries except Al-Maghrib Al-Arabi,
> > uses Arabic-Indic (or Mashriqi Arabic) digits, the locale definition
> > should reflect this, which it doesn't currently.
> >
> > #Date formates: currently the full date form prints like, خميس يونيو
> > 14, it should be something like الخميس 14 يونيو, the same with
> other
> > date formates, date formates also needs fixing.
> >
> > #Collation rules (alphabetic sorting): this needs more investigation,
> > how we should treat WAW HAMZAH ABOVE and YEH HAMZA ABOVE; as a variant
> > of yaa' and waw or as forms of alef? alef forms with hamza and maddah
> > should precede or follow the normal alef? I think the better way to
> > solve this is to find how Arabic dictionaries deal with this issue.
> >
> > We started a wiki page
> > (http://wiki.arabeyes.org/الإعدادات_المحلية) to
> > collect information about that issue, if any one knows the details
> > about other Arabic speaking countries please add it their.
> >
> > Waiting for your ideas and comments.
>
> Khaled, did you submit your changes/modification to the proper/actual
> maintainers of these locales ?  Did you contact anyone that is affiliated
> with maintaining the locales ?  If not, then please do so and see what
> their reactions are - let's start a dialog with _them_ to at a min raise
> their awareness to all these issues...
>
> Salam & keep up the great work !

That what I was planning to, but I was waiting to see of someone here
have some issues/ideas, as it seems there isn't, I'll be submitting this
to mainstream soon ISA.

--
Khaled Hosny

Egyptian GNU/Linux user
Member of Arabeyes team [www.arabeyes.org]
My Blog: [www.khaledhosny.org]

Support Free Knowledge [ar.wikipedia.org]