Re: Arabbix - a proposal

--- Muhammad Alkarouri <malkarouri at yahoo dot co dot uk> wrote:
> Note that Ubuntu is not a repackaging of Debian; it is a *derivative*. While
> you can install Debian packages in Ubuntu, it is not safe to mix Ubuntu and
> Debian repositories as they may have conflicting packages at any specific
> time.

I liked everything that I read (some comments below) yet I caution (for the
sake of completeness and this should _NOT_ halt this drive) of continuing
with Ubuntu if they really start to divert from Debian to where we'll have
to create two different .deb packages to satisfy each (this is not meant
to start a "this is already happening" flame war btw); just something to
keep in mind and to continue to keep an eye out on...

[snip snip]

> As I see it, the role of modules in Morphix can be fulfilled by the use
> of metapackages in Debian. For example, to install GNOME all you need is
> ``apt-get install gnome``. If we were able to package all our modifications
> in metapackage(s) it will be very simple for anyone to pick and choose. I
> am drawing here on the collective experience of the Arabeyes community in
> Debian packaging, which is better than finding a custom module solution.

Agreed, although the idea was not so much to create those "modules" but
to spell-out exactly what is needed for one to create his/her own.  In
other words, we should not spend any time on packaging or creating modules
that we ourselves won't be using hoping that someone will pick them up.
A 'islamic-theme' "module" comes to mind - we should make it plenty clear
to anyone (and they don't need to be a power user, the simpler more straight
forward, the better) reading the doc what they are required to do in order
to accomplish the feat of creating their own "module".  Else we could
start hosting "sanitized" modules somewhere on the 'net if people opted
for that instead.  In any regard this is a detail that needs to be worked
out and also keep in mind that my definition of an "islamic-theme" module
might be vastly different from someone else's yet the names ought not
clash somehow which might lead an outsider to think "shesh, these guys
are nuts with all these various variations of the _same_ thing" -- again
just a thought.  I think it would be best to concentrate on the cookbook
(on how to get things created - ie. document the heck out of what needs
to be done) and leave it to for people to create.

> The Community:
> ==============
>
> The Arabbix CD should be a community project. There are many things to
> participate into:
>
> - Packaging packages to include in the CD
> - Testing and feedback
> - Rebuilding the CD, and customizing it
> - Translating any applications that has a need
> - Creating good artwork
> - Advocating for it and advocating using it
> - Any other suggestions
>

> So, here is the suggestion. I will be happy to maintain the project along
> these
> lines. I hope it will get a healthy discussion here, and I am glad to respond
> to any suggestions, criticisms, etc..

This sounds very reasonable to me (as an individual and don't read anything
into this) - if others are a "go" we can continue along these lines.  Any
last comments/thoughts/suggestions and/or worries ?

Thanks Muhammad for taking the initiative and stepping forward.

Yahoo! Music Unlimited
http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/