Re: Arabbix - a proposal

First, thanks a lot for your feedback. This was the most section I had problems
with.

--- Mohammed Adnčne Trojette <adn at diwi dot org> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 26, 2005, Muhammad Alkarouri wrote:
> > Modularity:
> > ===========
[...]
> I am not sure to understand you, here.
>
> 1- Meta-packages usually depend on many packages so that they all get
> installed when installing the meta-package.
>
> For example : apt-get install gnome means installing all of gnome
> meta-package dependencies

That means I figured it mostly right but wasn't able to explain.
I expect many people to try their hands on this and select their own choices.
In Morphix they do that using modules. I want to use an idea which is
essentially compontents, ala Progeny componentized linux. So if somebody wants
the CD with gnome he will configure it by installing all gnome. If somebody
else wanted kde he will apt-get install kde. In essense, any group of packages
that need to be installed together can be glued into a metapackage, right?

Obviously, arabeyes-artwork has nothing to do with that. The right example, in
the wrong place:(

> http://people.debian.org/~tille/cdd/index.en.html#contents seems an
> interesting starting point.

Thanks for the link. It is really interesting.

> 2- arabeyes-artwork can be replaceable, you say. So we have to create an
> artwork virtual packages provided by arabeyes-artwork and every single
> package from *-artwork packages.

Correct. The current packaging is pathetic. But we need to agree on the
Arabeyes artwork first.
For everybody there, I have grabbed random images from art.arabeyes.org to make
as interface. Please show me which do you prefer, and we will probably need to
do some tweaking. This probably needs an e-mail to general..

> > - Packaging packages to include in the CD
>
> I may have some time for this (with no guarantee), even if I don't use
> Ubuntu but Debian and am a Debian maintainer (not yet developer,
> though).

I appreciate your help a lot. Packaging is the same, and you can always target
etch. Tweaking will be minimal if any.

With many thanks,