Re: Arabbix - a proposal

On Sat, Nov 26, 2005, Muhammad Alkarouri wrote:
> Modularity:
> ===========
>
> After a discussion with Nadim I felt this point needs to have more explanation.
>
> As I see it, the role of modules in Morphix can be fulfilled by the use of
> metapackages in Debian. For example, to install GNOME all you need is ``apt-get
> install gnome``. If we were able to package all our modifications in
> metapackage(s) it will be very simple for anyone to pick and choose. I am
> drawing here on the collective experience of the Arabeyes community in Debian
> packaging, which is better than finding a custom module solution.
>
> An example is the ``arabeyes-artwork`` package I have written (to be uploaded).
> It should be replacable by anyone's favourite ``*-artwork`` package.
>
> More feedback is welcome.

I am not sure to understand you, here.

1- Meta-packages usually depend on many packages so that they all get
installed when installing the meta-package.

For example : apt-get install gnome means installing all of gnome
meta-package dependencies

% apt-cache show gnome|grep Depends
Depends: gnome-desktop-environment (= 1:2.10.2.4), gnome-office (= 1:2.10.2.4), gdm-themes, gnome-cups-manager (>= 0.30), gnome-themes-extras, rhythmbox, synaptic (>= 0.53.4) | gnome-apt, xscreensaver

http://people.debian.org/~tille/cdd/index.en.html#contents seems an
interesting starting point.

2- arabeyes-artwork can be replaceable, you say. So we have to create an
artwork virtual packages provided by arabeyes-artwork and every single
package from *-artwork packages.

(using the debian/control Provides: field, see also
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-relationships.html#s-virtual)

> - Packaging packages to include in the CD

I may have some time for this (with no guarantee), even if I don't use
Ubuntu but Debian and am a Debian maintainer (not yet developer,
though).

--
adn
Mohammed Adnčne Trojette