Re: Salam alikom (Your answers appreciated) (Aziz)

السلام عليكم
As Nadim answered before there was a will to make a similar project
oao (www.openarabiya.com), this is very interesting due to the lack of
arabic open source specialized media websites which push many users to
use English as their default desktop language because there are very
good oss english websites. Arabic oss websites are good way to spread
arabic computer terms that many users find weird ( only because they
don't use them ).
I suggest , if you want, to make it a part of arabeyes and/or give
skilled writers the chance to make high quality articles, not just
translating english news or pointing to slashdot. You could use the
open source SPIP to manage the content, it's a bit complex but you can
better control the interface design with it compared to Mambo or
phpnuke. Also, if you make it a part of Arabeyes , I think the core
members might give you free hosting on powerful servers or also free
domain name if they are not overloaded with the current activity.
I don't like Arabstan, because it mixes arabic ( Arab ) and persian (
the suffix stan ). Arabistic sounds like a blog's title or a hobby
website.

Fatish as a verb means browse and search ( tsaffah wa ibhat ) , I gave
the correct dictionary definition of it in my previous reply (but you
have problems with encoding). Fatash ( with shadda on taa )is a
"Sighat Moubalagha" derivated from the verb.

By the way, I was also thinking of creating an Arabic open source news
website. I have ever created names and logos on draft but I don't
think it was perfect.

In my opinion, OpenArabiya isn't a good name because it uses an
english word and translating or transcripting it wouldn't be great.

I suggest: www.ainmaftouha.com ( ain for arabic, ain also for
arabeyes, maftouha for opensource, maftouha also for the arabic fatha
haraka ( diacritics ) ). If you name it so, you can design a cool logo
with a fatha on a ain. The simple shape of both the letter and the
diacritic are elements to make a professional logo.