Re: Arabic spellchecker

On Saturday 19 November 2005 22:38, Ahmad Khalifa wrote:
> Abdalla Alothman wrote:
> > Indeed. My last comments were about the grammer paper.
>
> Would you be interested in working on the paper ?
> Or maybe write your own ?

Unfortunately I don't see myself qualified. If I may, I would suggest
Hamed Suhli. A good book I went through is called:

نحو اللغة العربية
Unfortunately I can't recall the author (I'm in London and the book is home -- in Kuwait.)

I think the usage of the word (including its spelling) can only be figured after
establishing a formal structure of the "current" sentence. There are many derivatives
that could be extracted from a single root, and within a derivative there could be
variations of the same derivative. There are also modern Arabic words, and modern
Arabized words (Arabized words are even present in the Quran.) Just a note for
non-Arabs: This complexity is due to the flexible nature of the Arabic language.
Arabic is a very natural language.

> We need a nice paper/document that categorizes/discusses words of
> the arabic language.

This is very true. I would like to see such paper soon. I would also
like it to include technical information if possible.

I do agree with Brother Hamed Suhli that the sought task is very difficult,
but unlike Brother Hamed, I would not discourage any member working in such
task right from the beginning. That's because most programmers will discover
new ideas while there hands are wet. So probably something useful might come
out from such trials.

Wishing you and your family peace and good health.

Salam,
Abdalla Alothman