Re: OpenOffice 2.0/ StarOffice 8.0

Unfortunately I do agree with you Mohamed, and this becoming a cultural issue for us to wait for others to do work for us.
Features like spell checkers need investment in R&D from an Arabic linguistic point of view because such technology needs to be fast, modular and capable to integrate not only with Office products but also with mail clients , web mail clients etc...

Sun can help with enhancing the product but R&D if even funded by Sun will be very hard to be donated to OSS because of the copy right license which usually restrict such action (I mean if Sun decided to purchase an Arabic spell checker it will be very hard to integrate it with OpenOffice because of the license restrictions).

So it is our role to start such a project, Is there any NGO/Gov agent that may be interested to invest in R&D?
Such projects usually come from a research lab / university, Is there any university in Saudi, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, U.A.E, etc.. that have carried such a project and have a tangible outcome that can be used as a foundation for OSS- Arabic spell checker??

Regards,
Waleed

Adil Allawi wrote:

Hello Mohammed,

All I can say is one needs to be patient. It has taken Sun this long to get OpenOffice properly competitive with MS Office in the European markets and in China let alone Arabic. And look how long it took Mozilla to come up with a useable web browser. Now OpenOffice has some killer features I think the interest in Europe will create more interest for Arabic.

Also, the fact that Waleed Hosny himself chooses to ask here is a sign that all your efforts are being recognised from above.

As for the cultural issue - my father was interviewed on MBC during Gitex. The interviewer told him that last year 2 million dollars was spent by Arab companies on R&D. In economic terms that is nothing. No wonder things progress so slowly.

Regards

Adil