Re: OpenOffice 2.0/ StarOffice 8.0

Hello Mohammed,

All I can say is one needs to be patient. It has taken Sun this long to get OpenOffice properly competitive with MS Office in the European markets and in China let alone Arabic. And look how long it took Mozilla to come up with a useable web browser. Now OpenOffice has some killer features I think the interest in Europe will create more interest for Arabic.

Also, the fact that Waleed Hosny himself chooses to ask here is a sign that all your efforts are being recognised from above.

As for the cultural issue - my father was interviewed on MBC during Gitex. The interviewer told him that last year 2 million dollars was spent by Arab companies on R&D. In economic terms that is nothing. No wonder things progress so slowly.

Regards

Adil

At 21:11 +0200 4/11/05, Mohammed Sameer wrote:
>On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 05:44:23PM +0200, Ammar Ali wrote:
> > One critical missing feature is Arabic spell-check and grammar check. I
>> know these are not exactly perfect in MS Office, but they exist and many
>> people depend on them to a certain extent. Many have sited these missing
> > feature as reasons not to make the switch to OO2.0.
> >

>I don't really understand how we are thiking.
>We have an incomplete Arabic spell checker, No one volunteered to help.
>No one is welling to take over the project.
>
>We don't do our homework and we start asking other people to do it for us!!!!!
>
>I don't really understand how our culture is formed.
>
>I don't really feel OK because We didn't introduce the Arabic support in
>Gtk, Qt, Mozilla, OpenOffice, All what we are doing is begging people, Submitting bugs,
>Shouting all the time yet no one volunteered to fix the any broken thing.
>
>I might be one of those people but realising this fact I simply STFU or try to do
>whatever I can.

Adil Allawi
Technical Director   Diwan Software Ltd