Re: Hijri support in php (5.1+)

--- Pierre-Alain Joye <pierre at dotgeek dot org> wrote:
> While looking for hijri calendar references, I found your project.
> I'm very impressed, thanks for the job.

Thanks for your kind words.

> I have no direct usage for it but working on a new date extension
> for php (will be in php 5.1) and my plans is to add support for non
> gregorian calendars.
>
> Instead of reinventing the wheel and doing something without real
> clue, I'm wondering if I can use directly your library (itl).

By all means - that's why it's there and under [L]GPL :-)

> My idea is to bundle the sources in the php cvs repository and sync
> the changes when required.
>
> The licence used by itl is compatible with the PHP Licences.
>
> If some of you have interest to contribute directly to the php
> support, you are more than welcome :).
>
> Opinions comments or suggestions welcome.

You might want to probe to see if a user has ITL installed else fall
back on internal (possible dated) code.  I won't comment directly on
whether people will actually contribute directly to PHP regarding this,
but I'd venture a guess that due to our short-handedness and our limited
resources that would be doubtful.  The ITL project on Arabeyes is here
to stay and it is being very actively maintained by its authors lead by
Mr. Thamer Mahmoud.

Looking forward to PHP-5.1 then :-)

Regards,