Re: Fwd: Quran project

--- ridzuy at petronas dot com dot my wrote:
> Dear Mr Ossama Khayat,
>
> How did your project went? FYI, what ive done is very simple: I wrote a
> perl script to convert the xml data to html files (split into several
> files, of course), and use the font from Mr Yousif to display it.

What I did was just XML+XSL to be able to display data easily in a browser. I
didn't have the chance to do anything more.

> I found
> several problems with Mr Yousif's font, and able to correct it (using
> Microsoft Volt, free). So, it can display the data correctly.

It would be great if you put this info somewhere.

> Then , I
> added javascript for the audio support, but this one, it is only IE
> specific. So far, it works great. Only one more thing I need to do: to
> automatically scroll down to the correct ayat while playing the whole
> surah.

Again, URL?

> To add translation support is very easy,just create a javascript array of
> the translation, and display it .

Nice thing.

> Also, I forgot to mention, the recitor (qari) is selectable from your
> favourite qari...

Great.

> So, there you are. Most of the feature is there, with 2 drawbacks:
> 1. Audio support only in IE ... can make it work for firefox also , but
> still windows only. Can anyone point me , how to add audio support for
> linux browser?

Any specific reason why? Maybe when I have a look at the code I can find out
something.

> 2. Firefox font problem. Some of the glyph are not displayed correctly such
> as LAM ALEF . It does dot substitute the glyph with the correct one. Also,
> the position of the marks are not honored.

Is this on Windows/Linux?

> FYI, since the font does not have any hinting provided (I think fontforge
> does not do any hinting), the font does not look good at low resolution
> (and least on windows. I've tried displaying the font using freetype2,using
> the sample program on windows, it does look better, so does this means it
> looks better under linux???).

Linux uses FreeType2 by default (almost always).

> So, what do you think ? Do you think it is worth to continue the work?

Well, given that you have time for it, sure it is.

> PS: I think the xml data also need some clean up work.

Yes. We need to review the actually strings and provide a better format and
maybe a DTD/XSD.

I'm CC'ing developer for public discussion/benefit.

- Ossama