Re: start of SIRAGI project

Salam,

If I summarize our discussion, here is the main points :

- tif files are not in their right place in SIRAGI, so they should  be removed
from CVS.

- GOCR has a poor design, so it can not be adapted for supporting arabic. It's
not a  bad idea to write another OCR from scratch.

- SIRAGI-OCR should not make the same mistake as GOCR : supporting one type of
script. Its design should be general and good to support Arabic and other
scripts (latin, etc.)

Thanks for these recommandations. I will update CVS later and give more
details in todo list.

Mete wrote:
> [...] Are you planning to base SIRAGI completely on top of
> neural networks? It seems like that would be the way to achieve a really
> efficient and flexible OCR.

There is two important parts in an OCR : line/character detection and
character classification.  The former part is implemented in SIRAGI using a
finate automata. It is not an easy problem... The latter one will be coded
using a neural network. The nn is designed, trained and tested using Stutgart
Neural Network Simulator.

I think we should write at least two engines based on neural networks : the
first engine get pixels as input and the second get curves as input. When the
two engines agree on a character, the recognition is confirmed.  Currently we
are working on the first engine.

Kind regards
Tarik

--