Re: Arabbix initial roadmap.

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 15:19:34 +0300
Mohammed Sameer <uniball at gmx dot net> wrote:

let me elaborate a bit

> * All of the arabeyes customization things'll be  modularized as much
> as possible via morphix minimodules, to ease the future updates and to
> allow other LUGS/individuals to customize arabbix to fit their needs.

the way we see it Arabeyes is not exactly an advocacy organization, so
while arabeyes will use Arabbix to demonstrate our work and the FOSS
arabic desktop from time to time most of the advocacy will be done by
LUGs magazine and other similar entities.

now in the process of promoting ones organization the idea of having a
branded livecd pops up every now and then, we thought it would not be a
wise idea to have several arabized live CDs with only minor differences
and mostly branding and themeing differences.

so the idea is to modularize in order to allow others to easily build a
branded arabbix CD, our hope is others will contribute to the core
arabbix project, cooperate with each other (if EGLUG adds some
introductory docs the LLUG can use them if LLUG adds a nice theme maybe
EGLUG can use it etc.), and off course we hope people will always give
credit to the arabeyes project.

so arabeyes does the development, lugs and others do the advocacy (which
is the way things are most of the time eh?)

> * Arabbix'll include ALL the software by arabeyes.org EXCEPT any
> religious software, I wanted to add it, But It won't be added per LLUG
> request.

now this is too extreme, I think it would server arabeyes best if all
projects arabeyes is involved in are present.

so my suggestion is to have a core arabeyes module which is what all
interested parties agree on, then additional arabeyes modules that third
parties can discard (just put religious stuff in an arabeyes_religion
minimodule).

* After we reach a stable release no more updates'll be done
> except when major software packages are rolled out:
>  - OpenOffice
>  - The latest 100% arabised version of GNOME "as arabbix'll be based
>  on GNOME, though it can be easely adapted via morphix mainmodules"-
>  Morphix base updates.- Any 3 arabeyes applications outdated in
>  arabbix- upon the release of an application that is considered vital
>  such as the C++ version of duali.
> * Arabbix'll contain ONLY FLOSS as defind by the DFSG.
> * Arabbix'll always have the latest 100% arabised version of GNOME.

it may be beneficial one day to have a KDE module under the auspice of
the arabbix project, but we;ll wait for volunteers to work on that.

also one can forsee updates to minimodules used by thirdparties even
when arabbix itself in not updated, and finaly it should be simple to
add proprietary fonts, codecs, drivers, plugins, whatever by creating
custom minimodules (or maybe they already exist).

> Cooperation with other lugs not just EGLUG is a MUST, Maybe we'll try
> to contribute directly to Morphix.
>
> Here is The imagination about the roadmap:
> * the 1st version'll be rolled out with the lates morphix base, arabic
> locale, and the shared set of applications we agree upon.* The next
> version'll be released with the art work.* a 3rd release with
> configuration tailored for arabeyes "keyboard layout, /home/arabbix
> instead of /home/morph"* The final release.

again let me sugest a more detailed road map.

first alpha release (in few days):
 this will basicaly be latest morphix with arabic locale, translations
and keymap
first beta release:
 added arabeyes software
first rc:
 added arabeyes artwork, docs and did customization to the configs
stable:
 rc with any bugs tailored out

we hope to see at least one branded distro based on the first release

2nd release:
 * move to gnome 2.8 if it is 100% arabized by that time or 2.6 if not,
if morphix already caught up stick to what they offer, if not do our own
gnome main module and contirbute it to morphix
 * update all major software
 * get any useful contributions from third party branded CDs like
general docs, configs, etc.
 * fix any bugs, commit to morphix if they're upstream bugs
 * make Arabbix a reference implementation of SAIS

then we remain static until major events as defines by MohammedSammeer
occur.

so Mohammed what do you think?

cheers,
Alaa