Re: PuTTY Bidi

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004, ahmad khalifa wrote:

> >As far as I know, no, you can't.  Do you think I would have
> >written fribidi if one could simply use that code?  Moreover,
> >that code does not handle Unicode.  Just ASCII, as you said
> >yourself.
>
> Can you or someone else confirm that i cant use because licensing
> issues..??

I will take a look later and let you know.  Roozbeh, you?

> >I recommend you drop it as soon as possible.  That's like the
> >Java source code.  Just reference.
>
> well, it works doesnt it..!!

Yeah, but the license does not let you use it in production,
ASAIK.

> >No.  It does not support Unicode.
>
> i changed it, remember?

You added Arabic, right?  What about Hebrew?  And other Unicode
characters?

> >Apart from this issue, I have serious problems with this approach
> >of passing every line to bidi....  But I don't open my mouth now.
> >That's what you are doing, good or bad.  I just said that because
> >unlike what people usually think, a wrong implementation *can*
> >hurt the global movement.
>
> then y dont u just let me use fribidi if u care so much about
> the "global movement" ???

As I said before, it's not just me that wrote fribidi.  In fact
FriBidi was first developed by Dov Grobgeld, under LGPL.  It was
later handed to me that developed it further.  There are about
ten people in the list of authors and contributors, and there is
code borrowed from other LGPLed projects.  That's simply out of
my power.  Otherwise I said once in the fribidi-devel list that I
wish I could change the license to X/MIT etc.

The moral of the story is that:  Copyright is evil.

> ak.

--behdad
  behdad.org